Consumer Problems

Self-Help Brochures from SEOLS

Can My Wages Be Garnished?

This brochure explains when your wages can be garnished and when your wages cannot be garnished.

What Can I Do If I am Being Harassed by a Collection Agency?

This brochure explains what steps you can take when a collection agency is calling you.

What Should I Do If I Need Car Repairs?

This brochure explains what you can do to protect yourself if you need car repairs.

How to File an Answer to a Complaint

If someone files a lawsuit against you, you must file a written response to the lawsuit within 28 days of when you got the court papers. A written response to a lawsuit is called an Answer. This packet tells how to prepare your Answer. The packet also has a fill-in-the-blank Answer that you can fill out and file with the court.

Has someone filed a debt collection lawsuit against you?

Watch our informational video.


Links to Resources on Other Websites

Get a Free Copy of Your Credit Report

You can get a free copy of your credit report from

What You Should Know About Your Credit Report

This brochure from the National Consumer Law Center has information on how to get a free copy of your credit report and how to understand the information on your credit report.

Search the Ohio Attorney General’s Complaints

You can search the Ohio Attorney General’s complaints to see if other people have complained about a business.

File a Complaint with the Ohio Attorney General

If you think you a business took advantage of you, you can file a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General.

Federal Trade Commission’s Guide to Buying a Used Car

This Federal Trade Commission site will explain how to figure out what that used car is really worth. It will give you a list of things to look at when you are going to buy a used car. It will also explain how to make sure you are not getting taken advantage of by the car dealer.

File a Complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

If you are having problems with rip offs or imposter scams; problems with mobile devices, telephones or phone plans; problems with internet service, online shopping or computers; problems with education, jobs and making money; problems with credit and debt; problems with robocalls, unwanted telemarketing, text or spam; or problems with many other issues, you can file a complaint with the FTC

Find other information on consumer issues


Translate »